Master Bedroom Walls and Refinishing the Floors

So, I have lots of picture updates but not much time, so I thought I would quickly show the color we ended up picking for the master bedroom.  For some reason, we just couldn't find something we loved for the master, and it is the only paint color we hadn't picked out as of this past Monday.  We wanted something to go with our gray(ish) color palette, but we wanted it to be different and darker than the lighter walls in the rest of the house.  We just kept going back and forth...not really sure if we wanted all of the walls the same color, or maybe do one wall dark and the rest light...we have kind of just been all over the place with this decision.

We played around with these three colors:

All colors are Benjamin Moore.  Top is Alexandria Beige, bottom right is Kingsport Gray and the bottom left is Manchester Tan

We weren't a fan of any of them, and so it was back to where we started...having no idea what to choose.

Then, this past weekend reality struck and we realized we needed to paint the Master before they started redoing the hardwoods.  We just didn't want to deal with having to do any major painting (other than trim) after spending lots of money to redo the hardwoods in the whole house.  Hardwood refinishing began Wednesday morning at 9am, so we were on a tight schedule.

After finding nothing we both liked over the weekend, we had kind of given up and given in to the fact that we might be painting the walls after the floors were refinished, which wasn't ideal but would work out just fine in the end.  Then, at work on Monday, I received a text message from Tony telling me to look at Duxbury Gray.  I did a very quick google search where I found this:

From: http://katieandchriscoleman.blogspot.com
and this:

From here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/gal0111342625932.html
So, I was a little confused as to what it would actually look like because the colors were so different in the two rooms.  However, I loved the way it looked in the first picture, so we decided to take the risk and go for it.  We painted that night and could not be happier.  The color is absolutely lovely, and looks much more like the first photo that I found than the second.  It definitely has some green in it, but not much and is more gray than green.  Tony disagrees and says it is army green...it isn't (in my opinion at least).  Here are a few quick iPhone pictures of the room, color is a little off, but not much:

Inside of closets are currently still baby blue and trim was just sort of painted in these pictures, so it will look better once I actually do it...I just wanted to get an idea of what it would look like.
For now, we are at a stand still.  The floors are being redone and we can't get into the house until Sunday.  After working on the house for Almost a full month (he closed January 13), it feels strange not to go home from work every night and work constantly until 2am or later.  I guess it's good to take a break, though, because my knees are killing me (from painting the baseboard), my wrists are hands and wrists are always sore (from all of the painting, carpet staple removal, etc etc...I could go on and on) and I'm just overall tired...all the time.

We went back and forth on the color he wanted to choose for the floors for a while, but eventually decided on a darker color, but not too dark, with a little red, but not too much red...easy, right? :)

He is using highly recommended, First Pace Flooring, and they have been awesome so far.  On Wednesday, he sent me a sample of the colors while I was at work to confirm that we were on the same page as far as color goes and we both agreed on the same one.

Another cell phone picture...we both liked the far left best.
I believe the color he ended up choosing was English Chestnut that he custom mixed to be slightly darker with a little more red in it.

We will be able to go into the house wearing socks on Sunday.  However, we won't be able to move furniture back into the rooms until Tuesday, and we won't be able to put down carpets for 3 weeks.  I will post pictures as soon as we see the final results :)

-Annie

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP