Back in Business...Bedroom Update

While the house hasn't exactly been on hold, the blog has.  I've been out of town for the majority of the past 3 weeks.  I was traveling with work for the Big 12 Championship, in Tulsa for the NCAA Regionals, San Antonio for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, and we all know how the Elite 8 game ended...and well, that ended my nonstop traveling!  It's sad that we won't be playing in Houston, and I'm definitely sad for our boys, but it is nice to not be living out of a suitcase in hotel rooms.  I will miss the warmer weather, but hopefully Kansas can bring a little of the warm weather back that we had a glimpse of earlier in March.  So, that is why the updates stopped for a little while.

Lots has happened since I last wrote, especially since yesterday (when a bulk of the new furniture was delivered).  I plan to do an overall update, but for now a few iPhone/quick bedroom pictures will have to do.

Ignore the Teddy bear, the wrinkled duvet cover and the overall ickiness of this iPhone picture, but we went with the Crate & Barrel bedding.  It's great in person (we had already seen it in store, but it's nice to see it against the wall color finally), and works well with the color scheme of the rest of the house.
So, while I was at work one day after we put the bedding down, I was randomly inspired to add yellow curtains and decided to do a quick (very quick) photoshop mockup of what yellow curtains would look like with the bedding.  Mind you, this is a picture from my phone, so I wasn't working with the best quality, but the mockup gave me a really good idea of what it would look like:

Pictures of the nightstands were used from the Crate & Barrel website, and the yellow curtains were used from here.  So, based on this, we decided to go for it and do the yellow curtains.

So, I ran by Hobby Lobby on the off chance they might have a fabric/color that would work.  I didn't have a fabric sample with me from the bedding - I like to live on the edge... :) - so I was kind of just going off of memory, and considering the bedding had only been in the house for a few hours, I was taking a big gamble.  I found a material, and decided on a color, bought some no sew hem tape a curtain rod, curtain ring clips and headed home.  Luckily, the color was exactly what I was picturing.  Not exactly the same color as the bedding, but it adds a little variation to the color scheme.

Tony hung up the curtain rod, and I made the curtains using the hem tape and an iron.  The fabric, if I remember correctly, was only 45" (or so) wide, and we were thinking something much wider than that, so I made 4 total panels (2 for each side).  The fabric was normally $6 and some change/yd, but was 30% off.  In all, the fabric and the hem tape was about $70.00, coming to about $17.50/panel...not too bad.  Here's what we had with the new curtains, 7 ring clips on each side and really wrinkly bedding with no furniture yet.



The sheer curtain we got for the middle is from Target and has a diamond print on it that is very subtle, but adds some interesting dimension.  You can find them here.  It says they are $7.99 a panel, but I thought mine were $4.99 a panel...not sure.

The white rugs on either side of the bed are from Target as well...we considered a big 8x10 rug for under the bed, and that actually was the route I was leaning towards, where as Tony wanted to be more money conscious.  So, when I saw these great 5x8 rugs on sale for under $10 each (I think they were $6.99 each but I'm not positive), I had to get them.  So, in true Annie fashion, I decided to be spontaneous and I got them knowing that Tony couldn't possibly be upset about the decision because I was saving so much money.  I was right :)

Detail of the sheer curtains from Target.
After looking at the yellow curtains the next day, I thought they seemed like they needed more ring clips to keep them from drooping so much.  However, I went to San Antonio for work the next day, so that had to wait a week.

When I got back, I still thought they needed more clips, so I purchased 2 more sets for a total of 14 per side, and it made a huge difference.

Back-tracking a little...the previous week, when I got to Tony's house from the trip to Tulsa, it had been almost a week since I had been in his house and walking in, I had a new perspective on everything.  That perspective was that a lot of furniture was still needed, and it kind of drove me bonkers...especially the bedroom.  So, I went straight to Crate & Barrel and (with Tony's permission) put in an order for all of the furniture we had been contemplating for the bedroom, and I threw in a few other purchases that were a last minute decision, and a surprise for Tony when everything arrived! :D  So, a few days after I got back from San Antonio was delivery day for the furniture.

After getting everything into place, it totally changes the room and makes it feel so much more put together.  It is definitely not done, but so much closer and maybe Tony won't throw his clothes everywhere anymore.  Wishful thinking, right?

I kind of under-estimated the size of the bedside tables in the mockup :)
Yes, the bed is VERY poorly made...sorry.  This is a view from the doorway.
And a view from the bathroom door.  Yup, that's the coverlet peeking out from the duvet.
Porto Nightstands  |  Crate&Barrel
Porto Cheval Mirror  |  Crate&Barrel
Porto Mirror  |  Crate&Barrel
Porto 4-Drawer Dresser  |  Crate&Barrel
Where the little wooden chair (and bear, which is another story) are now we are hoping to put a cream accent chair and some kind of art or something above it to balance out the window on the other side of the wall.  Something maybe like this from west elm...

porter upholstered armchair  |  west elm
View of the bathroom door and smaller window.
Porto 6-Drawer Dresser  |  Crate&Barrel
The wall with the 6 drawer dresser seems so massive and empty, and makes the 6-drawer dresser look small.  We plan to mount a television above the dresser, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the space on either side of it.  Also, we plan on putting some kind of storage bench at the foot of the bed now that we know there is definitely enough room, but haven't quite decided on that, either.

And here we have the wall of closets...not really sure what is going to end up happening here, but I'm kind of hoping we don't end up putting the sliding doors back up.  I really don't think curtains would look good on the whole wall, and I don't think Tony can keep his stuff clean enough to do no doors.  So, sliding doors may be the only option.  However, I am still on the look-out for other alternatives.  Right now, we have the sliding doors painted the trim color, so we'll have to see what that wall looks like being mostly white.  Who knows.
I just pulled up the file of walk through pictures to post the before picture of the master bedroom, and it kind of weirded me out seeing the house the way it was when Tony first bought it.  I forgot how much the house used to feel like someone else's and now it feels so much more like his.  Anyhow, here is the transformation to where we are at today (not finished, but definitely getting somewhere):










For me, it's kind of surreal to see the before and "progress" pictures...I know we've only made little changes, but they have made such a huge difference and have really made the house feel so different.  Off to bed...have a happy Thursday!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP