The Den (yes...still), and Rug Day!

I know it probably seems that the den is the only thing we are working on, but I promise it is not.  The other rooms are just seeing much less progress (mostly due to not being able to decide on furniture) and therefore, we have focused on rooms that have most of the pieces already.

A few weekends ago I posted a few quick iPhone pictures of my couch and tv stand that were delivered.  They were both pieces I absolutely loved and figured it was better to spend a little more on pieces I loved that spend a little less on pieces I didn't love...makes sense, right? :)

So, I eventually decided on the Silhouette Sofa from Crate and Barrel in Ceylon, a sort of mustard yellow.  I thought the yellow would really compliment the brick in the den and would add a pop of color.  We went with a total neutral sectional, so I figured taking a chance with the more formal sofa would be worth it.

Image from crateandbarrel.com

The other piece that was delivered with the sofa was kind of an impulse buy, but I absolutely don't regret it.  When I turned the corner at Crate and Barrel and saw the Garnet Cabinet, I just prayed that it was the right size for the area in the den where we wanted a small cabinet to place a small television on.  I love the detail on the front, and really love the quality and how solid it is.  It really is beautiful, and I could see it working well in lots of different situations, so I considered it more of an investment piece.

Image from crateandbarrel.com
Both pieces work great in the space, and I think I should be spontaneous more often.

Anyhow, the real point of this post is Rug Day...the day we were finally allowed to put down a rug on the hardwood floors after getting them refinished (has it really already been 3 weeks...wow).  I was so excited to bring my Pottery Barn Chain Link Rug upstairs and put it in the living room.  So, Tony lugged it upstairs and it sat in the living room for a little more than 24 hours.  It looked good in the living room, but I just love the rug so much, and didn't feel like I loved it as much anymore in the living room.

So, today I got home from work earlier than Tony.  I'm staying in Kansas City while I work the Big 12 Basketball Tournament that is taking place in KC MO, so my hours are a little weird right now.  So, I was home alone.  While sitting at the women's basketball game this morning I had a vision (seriously) of the rug in the den.  I just had to have the rug in the den, and I'm pretty sure if I would have asked Tony to help move the rug to the den he would have just told me that it looks good in the living room and we should leave it.  So, I had my window of opportunity, and while it was much more difficult to do it alone, I moved it to the den.  I knew once he saw it he would love it too, so I was excited for him to get home to see it.  Sure enough, he loved it as well and so the rug will stay in the den (for now at least).

So, here are a few pictures of the den...it is lacking a lot, and we still need the accent chairs (that's going to be a project very far down the road), a side table or two, something on the walls, curtains over that hideous sliding glass door (or better yet, replace the sliding glass door with french doors...but I have a feeling that will be a summer project), curtains over the window, pillow covers that actually match the decor (and not those sage green ones that are currently on the couch), and I'm sure there are a million things I'm not thinking of.  However, this is one of the most finished rooms so far and it is really nice to see a furnished room instead of tools and equipment and just junk in the den (like it was for the first few weeks...which I tried very hard not to document, but alas it made it into a few pictures)

The den on January 17th...this was actually before it became a total disaster zone, but you get the idea.
First a few before pictures...





Now for a few more current pictures...current, but definitely not complete (as the list above illustrates)

Wall Paint: Benjamin Moore-Stonington Gray
Trim Paint: Benjamin Moore-Mascarpone
Sofa: Silhouette Sofa, Crate and Barrel ($999)
Coffee Table: Included in contract and left from previous owner
TV Cabinet: Garnet Cabinet, Crate and Barrel ($599)
Rug: Pottery Barn, Chain Link Rug (from a previous season, link is only one I could find with more info) ($399)
Painting: Great Finds Consignment Shop ($25)
Buffet with Hutch (not pictured here): Brand is Sligh Furniture, my mom thinks it was purchased in the 50's or earlier. Passed down from my grandparents to my parents to me
Other misc. purchase: cabinet hardware, bookcase decorations
Ignore the little mess in the kitchen...the desk in the kitchen is now the hub for clean paint brushes, and I have no excuse for why my coat is flung over the kitchen chair.
In this angle you can see the buffet/hutch.  In this angle you can also see a handful of my camera bags on the left of it...and me in the reflection of the mirror...and the temporary spot for my iMac...yup...on the floor.  Not the most comfortable place to work from.
A detail shot of the Garnet Cabinet from Crate and Barrel.
Detail of the Pottery Barn Chain Link Rug.  It is a very dark Navy color.  I love the Nautical feel of it without being too blatantly nautical.
Detail of the Silhouette Sofa, Crate and Barrel 
Another detail of the Silhouette Sofa, Crate and Barrel 
A few fabric swatches up for consideration for pillows.  Not sure, but we're leaning towards either the red or navy stripes. I'm thinking navy, though.
Hopefully I will have some free time in the next week to post a few more things we have been doing.  Until then, happy Big 12 Tournament week :)

Samantha  – (March 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM)  

Hi. I'm considering the silhouette sofa as well. How do you like it so far?

Annie  – (March 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM)  

@Bromeliad: We love it! It has held up really well and is a great mix of comfort and more formal lines. If you're considering the Ceylon color, I would definitely suggest getting a fabric swatch, because it can change so much in different lighting situations. There are a few times a day when it looks a lot more green in the lighting we have. We have it in a low/medium traffic area that is semi-formal, and it is perfect for that use.

Samantha  – (March 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM)  

Thanks so much.

I'm leaning more towards taupe or even the dark grey one. (I'm a neutrals girl.)

Thanks again.

Anonymous –   – (January 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM)  

I love your bedroom and your sofa. I shop from Crate&Barrel to for furniture. I almost purchased the porto bed but I decided to go with the octave instead. Looks great check out my blog also if you like http://mycratebarrelinspiredapartment.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP