Exploring Paint on Fabric

As I was finishing up editing a few sessions late last night in the office I continued to contemplate what kind of fabric I would use for the office curtains.  I looked through a few swatches online and didn't really see anything that stood out to me.  So, I remembered seeing that they had created their own fabric on Young House Love, and I thought maybe that was the route I should go.  However, while I think I could create a nice geometric pattern for a fabric on the computer, I'm not too great at creating anything that had a more organic/watercolor like feel that I was hoping to use for the office curtains.  So, I thought...maybe I could just paint fabric?  I was very ready for bed, but of course when I have an idea I can't just sleep on it...I have to do it.  So, I wanted to at least try it out.  I knew I had picked up a piece of fabric in the scraps bin at Hancock Fabrics a few weeks ago that was a good natural color...sort of canvas-like, and went at it.

I had no plan, no idea of what I wanted to do...no real direction I was going...I just sort of played around with it.  I grabbed a few bottles of acrylic craft paint and went to town on it.  Turns out this fabric must be outdoor or just treated, because water beaded up on the surface, which eliminated the idea of a watercolor look, because watering it down wasn't working.

It was kind of fun, actually, and maybe if I have a more solid plan or direction I could come up with something cool for pillows or maybe curtains...but more likely pillows.  I'm not claiming to be an artist at all, and I would say this scrap of fabric is the equivalent of doodling on a sheet of paper...I just wanted to try out different shapes and ideas and color combos and the like.  So, here are a few iPhone pictures of  what I came up with in about 5-10 minutes of "doodling" on the fabric last night...







Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP